Do students have to pay Plymouth council tax?

Do students have to pay Plymouth council tax?

July, 2020

Students in full-time education are exempt from having to pay Plymouth council tax, so long as everyone living in the household has the same status. If you receive in error at your second year student accommodation a bill for council tax, you can apply for an exemption.

Ensuring you don't pay Plymouth council tax for our Plymouth student accommodation

We have already applied for the exemption for the student properties with Plymouth City Council. Every year the council check a selection of houses to confirm that the residents are still entitled to the discount. When this happens, we have to supply the tenants’ names and course details. Occasionally we may need to ask a tenant to get a letter from the University or College confirming their full time student status.

What if I leave full-time education?

If a tenant leaves their course or is no longer a student, then they will need to pay Plymouth council tax. There is a 25% discount available if it’s just one person paying.

How do I know if I qualify for student status?

Plymouth City Council give a bit more detail on their classification of a full-time student as below:

If you are over 20 years old, your course(s) must:

  • last at least 24 weeks
  • involve at least 21 hours of study per week
  • be at a recognised educational establishment


If you are under 20 years old, then your course(s) must:

  • last at least 3 months
  • involve at least 12 hours study per week


They also clarify that this definition of a full-time student can include:

  • a student nurse on a university course
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges
  • a non-British spouse or dependant of a student and you are prevented by the terms of UK entry from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits


If a Plymouth Council Tax bill is received at a property, please email a scan of the letter to our office so we can take any action needed.

Need help with Plymouth Student Accommodation?

If you need any kind of support or advice finding Plymouth student accommodation get in touch with Tudor Price today, we will be happy to help.


Property Redress Scheme UKALA Client Money Protection My Deposits ICO Accommodation for Students